Sign in to follow this  
GPJake

Frame Sliders cause crack in engine case

From another site I'm a member of. Some bad luck:

Yesterday I had a low sider with my 2 month old bike. Going through a corner my tire slipped away.

I still don't know how it happened since I was going quite slow an my lean angle wasn't really high.

Anyways:

Everything looked fine and I thought I only had to replace some parts. When my bike arrived at the honda service they had really bad news for me.

There is a leak in the engine where coolant is coming out. They said I may have to replace the whole engine!! I am not an expert so I wanted to hear you opinion.

The part that broke is the link between the engine and the frame, where the framesliders are attached.

20180905_130940.jpg

20180905_125621.jpg

20180905_125612.jpg

And a response:

The overall “damage” to the bike doesn’t look bad but your case is exactly why I’m leaning more and more against “frame sliders” as certain designs do more damage than good. It all depends on how and where you fall if they help or not, in your case they didn’t.

Looking at your engine mount in the second pic, you can see the long, stiff bolt that the slider attaches to torqued the engine mount and broke the engine case. Depending on what cracked and what broke underneath you’ll at the very least need the engine cases welded, at the worst need them replaced. I’m thinking you’re looking at a totaled bike regardless.

Without the sliders you’d have scuffed engine covers and have to replace some bodywork, a couple hours, couple hundred dollar slide.

Sign in to follow this