March Community Garage & Group Ride: 2023 Season Prep!

GPJake

March 2023 Community Garage & Group Ride - Date Voting   

5 members have voted

1. 1. Select ALL days you would be able to make it? (only 1 will be chosen)

• Saturday, March 4th
    • Sunday, March 5th
    • Saturday, March 11th
    • Sunday, March 12th
    • Saturday, March 18th
    • Sunday, March 19th

This poll is closed to new votes

How about some group wrenching & a ride to kick off the season? (Yea I know, some of us are already riding...)

WHAT: A day to perform various light maintenance on motorcycles, then a group ride afterwards. Examples of "light maintenance": changing oil, changing brake pads, chain / sprocket replacements, motorcycle wash & dry, chain clean & lube, adjust suspension, install a horn etc. You will ride to the garage, and ride out with the group as we finish.

WHY: To be a resource for tri-state riders who:

• Don't have tools and/or a place to work on their motorcycle.
  • Do have tools and/or a place to work, but enjoy wrenching with others.
  • Just want to hang out, watch & learn from each other.

WHERE: I'm willing to host at my house. I have most tools, a motorcycle lift, universal stands, chain tool/belt gauge, etc.

WHEN: To be decided by this poll. Barring the unknown, it'll be the date with the most votes. Time of day TBD closer to the date as discussed in this topic.

Anything I haven't addressed? Let me know...

Important:

• We're hobbyists who love motorcycles & enjoy wrenching on our own.
  • Attendees are self-taught people who learn from the web, forums, YouTube, etc. There will be no mechanics, certified professionals or similar attending.
  • The person who rides the bike to the event - and only that person - is wholly responsible for that bike and anything done in the garage. This includes any and all damage, accidental or otherwise.
  • You must ride out with the group as the day finishes. This is not for long-term projects or storage.

• 4 weeks later...

Since the 12th & 19th tied for votes, let's plan on doing this on the 12th.

That way, we can fall back to the 19th if weather sucks or something else happens.

@Atrain @Elongo06 @JeremyM @Windfall - whattaya think?

• I'll have coffee, water, donuts at the garage. People can start showing up anywhere around 10am. (share thoughts on time)
  • We'll head out for the ride when everyone is here, ready & done wrenching (usually a couple / few hours).
  • Preliminary ride destination idea is somewhere we can get custom molded ear plugs. One place in the past was Elk Creek Hunt Club & Resort in Owenton, KY (1 hour / 55 miles from Fountain Square as a general idea). Share other destination ideas you have - especially those who offer custom ear plugs.

Share your preference on arrival time & ride destinations per above.

Anything we've missed?

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING US BUT MISSED VOTING - REACH OUT! WE'D LOVE TO HAVE YOU!

On 2/26/2023 at 9:41 AM, GPJake said:

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING US BUT MISSED VOTING - REACH OUT! WE'D LOVE TO HAVE YOU!

I'd love to join as well! And the destination for custom earplugs is perfect! Do you have any in mind or just fishing for ideas for now?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Benjamelon said:

I'd love to join as well! And the destination for custom earplugs is perfect! Do you have any in mind or just fishing for ideas for now?

Hell yea. 

There's 1 place that does plugs that @JeremyM has been to. I plan on calling them to confirm they still do it. Definitely open to other ideas. 

UPDATE - @Atrain @Elongo06 @JeremyM @Windfall @Benjamelon

I called about 15 different places (moto shops / dealers, gun ranges, sporting goods retailers, race tracks, etc). The only one that offers the service of custom molded earplugs is the place mentioned above in Owenton, KY. I called Elk Creek to confirm they still offer the ear plug service. Info below:

• Custom molded earplugs available. Standard, solid plug (ie no interchangeable filters).
  • Cost is $50 per set. Takes about 10 minutes each to make.

Our meetup / ride is set for Sunday, March 12th. There is 1 person at Elk Creek that does the plugs, and she does not work Sundays. HOWEVER, she offered to come in on Sunday 12th at a specific time to make plugs for us. I told her I would confirm & get back to her.

So - to each of you - please let me know one of the below ASAP. She is also ordering more materials to ensure she has enough.

YES - I WILL buy a set of plugs.

NO - I will NOT buy a set of plugs.

Let me know - I want to call her back & let her know ASAP.

@JeremyM @Atrain @Windfall @Elongo06 @Benjamelon  @Remi Anne

Right now, weather outlook shows:

• Sunday, March 12th: High of 46 degrees + scattered rain
  • Sunday, March 19th: High of 54 + partly sunny

UPDATE - Community Garage + Group Ride will now be Sunday, March 19th.

I called Elk Creek and confirmed the person who does ear plugs will be there for us on the 19th (typically her day off).

Plan for the 19th:

• All invited to arrive any time 8:30 AM or later.
    • There'll be coffee, water, donuts.
  • Kickstands up no later than 10:30 AM. Leaving sooner could allow a more twisty, less direct route.
  • Arrive @ Elk Creek no later than Noon for custom molded ear plug service.
    • $50 per set. Takes 10-15 minutes each to make. 
    • I advised there will be 4 people buying plugs, with a potential 5th.
  • We're flexible at this point. Lunch probably a good idea :). Share suggestions?

Let me know if any questions or if I've left anything out!