Hearing protection

Dead Duck

Timely topic.

I've used nonoise motorsport plugs for a few years now & really like them. Easy to put in/take out, no hard bits that catch the helmet, comfortable, cleanable, small storage case.

https://www.nonoise-earplugs.com/nonoise-motorsport-en.html (Revzilla sells them)

NRR is 29.6 db

3 days ago I ride 1.5 hours on the highway. Forgot my nonoise plugs so grabbed some cheap foamies from Walgreens:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-foam-earplugs/ID=prod6384523-product?ext=gooPersonal+Care+-+SSCPersonal+Care___online&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw2bmLBhBREiwAZ6ugo_1CWQKOff2MEac0KYhvJMUshRpzFox4OfGBmyGFikUEOaDIHZ3mghoCoEEQAvD_BwE

NRR is 32. They did not perform well. Or maybe they performed too well? They blocked too much. It felt like I had my head under water the whole way home.

I'm not sure if its because the foams have a higher (too high?) NRR?

Or is the nonoise marketing true? ("specially tuned for motorsports. These ear plugs effectively filter out dangerous levels of wind noise and road noise. Telephone, navigation, music and intercom remain clearly audible, without a ‘blocked ears’ (occlusion) effect.")

I don't know. But I know the foams made me love my nonoise even more.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Because I like trying things I don't technically need, I've been reading about custom molded plugs.

It seems one of the more popular choices lately are Decibullz. Figured I'd grab a pair & try them out. $26 on Amazon with a max NRR of 31 (depending on tips used).

https://amzn.to/3lt07aS

I was obligated to get red to match the Duc.

Molding process was straight forward. Instructions say to use the silicone tips that fit best for the molding, but I could NOT get any tips to insert fully before the heating process when I was testing for best fit. Maybe they aren't supposed to, but I tried & tried every size. Eventually I gave up, settled on the middle ones and began the molding process.

I was able to get the plugs fully seated once heated. Molding process was simple. They feel like a great fit now.

They are hard plastic after molding. Some reviews knock them for pain during helmet on/off. I put my helmet on/off a couple times & wore it a couple minutes and never had pain. A couple times the plugs wanted to fall out as I took the helmet off, but not every time. Time will tell if this becomes annoying. I haven't ridden with them yet to test the noise reduction.

20230211_091449.thumb.jpg.b1d0cc7138ae4460ededc4e6d8921d27.jpg

20230211_092357.thumb.jpg.eb16e24bb45fc9e068c7d87639d66a5a.jpg

20230211_092318.thumb.jpg.1524d6597381f6c74e77d5043db63d6b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update on the Decibullz after a month of use.

I rank the top / #1 in what I've used in all my years riding.

• They're as comfortable as anything else I've worn.
  • They have better noise reduction - though not anything drastic. I assume this is from the proper "outer seal" of the ear.
  • They're quicker & easier to get properly inserted. I no longer need to do the reaching behind my head / pull ear with opposite arm while inserting. I can just get these in place and smoosh 'em in.

Worth the money in my opinion. I'd buy them again.

Soon, I should be able to compare them to the 100% custom molded plugs (meaning the inner plug + the outer base). Hopefully I'll remember to offer a comparison then.